Audiovisual Context-Free animations?

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

error

Audiovisual Context-Free animations?

Post by error »

Hi there,

I am a postgraduate music technology student who is quite interested in audiovisual works. I've found context-free a little while ago and it seems like it has a nice and simple way of working things out, in terms of algorithmic generation of images/videos. (I am not that proficient in coding but context-free is rather simple for me to work on).

I am planning to do a work using context-free, applying the principles of the code to musical parameters as well, and creating an audiovisual work with both domains sharing the same rules. I just need to know if there is anyone who has done this kind of thing before. My google search did not reveal any artists making audiovisuals using context-free, and I wanted to make a post here, since this is home for you all.

So, does anyone know someone doing this stuff, or can anyone direct me to somewhere about it?

Cheers.

:D

markie

Post by markie »

Wow! interesting idea, creating musical fractals or repeating randomized patterns.
I'm not a programmer, but the translation from basic 2D-shapes with size, color, brightness and hue to basic musical entities with pitch, volume, duration, etc. would not seem extremely difficult to me.
I hope somebody will help you out, i'd be happy to test the results!

error

Post by error »

Well, this is an idea developed especially in the 90's and not much is done right now regarding this subject. (Concerning 'fractal' music) It somehow happened to be quite restricting and produced little creative results. However, the idea of algorithmic composition in general is very well developed and demonstrated that the possibilities of reaching different results are almost infinite. Using the properties of the visual domain, and applying them to the aural domain is a point of discussion, both in theory and in practice. However, I think that the way in which context-free is generating images and animations is quite applicable to aural properties of sound, as you said, pitch, timbre, etc.
I just want to know if someone is working on an audiovisual project using context-free, but it seems to me like there's not much going on right now.
I would be glad if someone, who finds out about an artist that uses context-free for audiovisual works, posts a message here. I would like to be the first one though :)

Cheers.

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Very nice idea, hope to see it become something to "show off" as in demonstrate
one day ;)

DAC

Animations

Post by DAC »

Well i have been doing some visual things, but in real time. I mean one day i try to make a projection with some CF stuff. I just doit in real tim an its was like an animation. Another thing you can try is to make a code that render the image each frame. You wil have a lot of images but you will have a cool animation.