random ranges, weighted random arrays, and local attributes

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

robo git

random ranges, weighted random arrays, and local attributes

Post by robo git »

Instead of needing to write things like this:

Code: Select all

rule Fred { SomeRule { x 0.1 }}
rule Fred { SomeRule { x 0.2 }}
rule Fred { SomeRule { x 0.3 }}
rule Fred { SomeRule { x 0.9 }}
rule Fred { SomeRule { x 1.0 }}
I think it could make for some seriously funky configs in far less space (and more efficiently parsed) if it was, rather then individual objects, somethingn like:

rule Fred2 { SomeRule { x [0.1 10 0.1] }}
For [a b c] where a is seed, b is quantity, and c is increment, so that [0.1 10 0.1] would give a random number from 0.1 to 1.0 with a step of 0.1 (So 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0)

Another, more flexible approach could be a weighted-array:

rule Fred3{ SomeRule{ x {0.1 1, 0.2 2, 0.8 8, 0.9, 1.0} } }
This would work like the rule-weightings - indeed behind the scene this may reuse the same code as the rule weightings.

-------------------

"And now for something, completely different."

There has already been talk of passing variables to child objects, and this is something related: Local attribute manipulation

This is just a "grief you're lazy Trav" ease-of-development thing for quicker development of CFDG files. It's not entirely uncommon to see things like:

SomeRule { x 15 }
SomeRule { x 30 }
SomeRule { x 45 }
SomeRule { x 165 }
SomeRule { x 180 }
when the CFDG developer is trying to keep things within a certain proportion, or a fixed-n number of objects need to be added (would be REALLY useful when using i_pix for writing actual text!) and so instead have something like this:

x [ 15 ]
SomeRule{ /* x passed implicitly, = 15 */ }
x [ 15 ]
SomeRule{ /* x passed implicitly, = 30 */ }
x [ 15 ]
SomeRule{ /* x passed implicitly */ }
x [ 15 ]
SomeRule{ /* x passed implicitly */ }
x [ 15 ]
SomeRule{ /* x passed implicitly, = 165 */ }
x [ 15 ]
SomeRule{ /* x passed implicitly, = 180 */ }

//by now we've lost x, so reset to default by:
x []
This could work with x, y, r, b, s and any other - use the same maths model as you would use when passing to a sub-rule, based off a local copy of the parent object attributes that are being updated.

-------------------

I don't know how useful or not these ideas are to others or how complex they are to implement, but I thought I'd throw these into the fray anyway. :D

Cheers!
-Trav