CFDG + PovRay

Here you can discuss and share functionality improvements and helper programs to make Context Free better.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

t3knomanser

CFDG + PovRay

Post by t3knomanser »

Now, I don't know if I'm going to have any time for this in the near future, but something I'll work on if I get around to it (unless someone beats me to it, which is why I'm posting it) is this hack- take the CFDG parser, and have it generate PovRay source, instead of an image. And better _yet_- throw in a new axis, and make some three-d designs.

The renderer is there, and it'd be pretty easy to replace calls to draw a point with calls to write sphere { x 0 y 0 z 0.....} out to a stream. If I ever get around to it, I'll post an update, but I'm curious what people think of such a beast? Set up a shell script that renders a CDFG file to PovRay source, and then runs the PovRay renderer against it, generating very time consuming 3d graphics. But it'd look pretty damn cool.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Povray support would be cool, but it wouldn't be the same program. The syntax would have to change to support 3D. You would need to fork the source tree. If you want to do this then wait until version 1.1. In v1.1 we are taking out the hard coded rotate and scale operations and replacing them with generalized 2D affine transform matrices. It would be simple for you to use 3D affine transform matrixes instead.

t3knomanser

Post by t3knomanser »

Oh, no doubt. But admittedly, an interesting fork, no? I caught that bit about the 1.1 version after I posted this when I reskimmed the headlines. I'm looking forward to that one.