Github?

Here you can discuss and share functionality improvements and helper programs to make Context Free better.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

rodrigosetti

Github?

Post by rodrigosetti »

Have you considered moving Context Free official repository to Github (www.github.com) ?

Reasons for that would be:

* Github offers more useful features that will facilitate development, documentation and code review: like issue tracking, integrated wiki, notifications, better diff view, etc.
* Having the code on Github will effectively make the project more visible, attract more users and developers willing to collaborate.
* The ability to easily clone and propose change (pull requests) make it simple for people collaborate more, whether is a simple typo fix or complex bug fixes.
* People can quickly create issue for bugs right there.
* You could create an organization "Context Free" with multiple repositories for Context Free core and associated tools, or even split the main repository per platform (e.g. common, mac, unix, windows).

I've done the migration os some repositories from Mercurial to Git in the past (including from Google Code to Github), keeping the entire commit history of course, and it's super quick and simple. I'm happy to do it, or help you guys if you are interested in this change.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Re: Github?

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Now that Google Code is shutting down I am migrating the repository to Github as you suggest. I used Google's migrate tool. I will update links for the new repo as soon as I get the email that the migration is complete.

Converting the mediawiki documentation to Github wiki should be easy since they support mediawiki markup. But the wiki is not too big. Is there a better choice for wiki markup on Github?