Possible to Animate by Variable?

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

JRTB

Possible to Animate by Variable?

Post by JRTB »

I've been toying occasionally with CF for a few years and I see the current version has an animation option when rendering. This seems to animate the rendering process itself, which is interesting, but something I would really like to do is create an animation where each frame is a full rendering and what changes between them is the value of a variable.

Is there are way to do this?

Perhaps is there a way to render from the command line with overrides for global variables passed as parameters? Then I could create animation by writing a script to render a series of frames.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Re: Possible to Animate by Variable?

Post by MtnViewJohn »

This recent design shows how to make arbitrary animations.

There are two functions, frame() and ftime(), that allow for complex animation. If you don't use these functions and don't use time adjustments then animation simply animates the rendering process.

Time adjustments allow you to control which frames a shape is visible on. Using frame() or ftime() allows you to make you cfdg grammar change for each frame. I think that the time adjustment feature is too complicated. I don't think anyone has ever used it. I may add visibility mode to each shape that indicates whether the shape is visible in the current frame.

It is true that there should be a way to provide global variables at the command line (configuration variables too).

JRTB

Re: Possible to Animate by Variable?

Post by JRTB »

Oh wow. This is perfect. I somehow did not see that these functions existed! Thank you v much :)