Bug Report: Runtime Error

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

David Spitzley

Bug Report: Runtime Error

Post by David Spitzley »

I've just gotten ContextFree home, and I installed it on my laptop so I could play with it at my inlaws this weekend. The installation appears to have worked correctly, but once the application opens, I receive the following error message:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\PROGRAM FILES\OZONESOFT\CONTEXTFREE\CONTEXTFREE.EXE

abnormal program termination
I am running the program on Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.22222 A. The computer is a Compaq Armada laptop with a Celeron processor and 64 megs of RAM.

Any suggestions? I can check for the presence of .dll files, etc. if that would help, but the error message obviously doesn't give anything to go on in that direction.

David Spitzley

Post by David Spitzley »

Ok, now this is annoying. My home desktop computer is giving exactly the same error as the laptop, and I've tested with both a saved version of the installer and a freshly-downloaded one. This machine is running Windows Me 4.90.3000 on a Dell with a Pentium 4 with 128 megs of RAM.

Just for a point of comparison, the computer I have successfully run the program on runs Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

Any diagnostics you'd like me to do?

I suppose I'll just install the program on my inlaws' computer, as >that< is running Windows XP.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

The reason Context Free is crashing on Win98 and WinME is that I use the MFC call CEdit::GetHandle(), which only works on flavors of NT. I will put in work-around code for non-NT and release a new alpha.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Version 0.2.2 alpha is up. Please, try it on your home machines.

David Spitzley

Post by David Spitzley »

Sorry for the delay in replying. Version 0.2.2 does clear up the Windows 98/Me crash problem, and it operates fine.