Virus scan

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

DeFleur

Re: Virus scan

Post by DeFleur »

The extraction report of 3.0.8 definitely includes a MSVCP120.dll but the extraction report of 3.0.9 does definitely not include MSVCP140.dll but e.g. VCRedistx64.exe Moreover a blog exists covering this missing .dll file quote https://github.com/bliker/cmder/issues/482 unquote In addition the uninstall program of 3.0.9 is now automatically eliminated by Symantec and consequently I just overwrote the not-opening 3.0.9 by a 3.0.8 re-installation which works but I understand is not something you recommend.
kind regards from DeFleur

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Earlier versions of Context Free unpacked the runtime DLLs into the same directory as the executable. This was supported by Microsoft, although they didn't like it. Context Free 3.0.9 depends on Visual Studio 2015, which comes with a "new and improved" runtime. In addition to MSVCP140.DLL, there are a large number of small DLLs with very long names. The small DLLs must be installed in your WINSxS directory to work. Many developers have complained to Microsoft that dropping support for local runtime installation is a bad idea. It is unclear if Microsoft will relent.

In theory all of the WINSxS DLLs will eventually be rolled out to all Windows users through Windows Update as an optional update. But I cannot depend on that. So I am bundling vcredist with Context Free.

So the installer extracts VCRedistx64.exe. Then it is supposed to run it and then delete it. Does this happen when you run the installer?

DeFleur

Post by DeFleur »

I see & thanks. Indeed, post reporting extraction the pop-up window shows deleting vcredistx64.exe (but does it mean it once really executed - or is this a not relevant question) ? I did all Windows 7 upgrading but still the same problem - CFA 3.0.9 does not start,
(fall-) back to 3.0.8 .......

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Hmmm... Try downloading the runtime installer directly from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=46881

I will try the installer under Windows 7 to see if it is different than what I see under Windows 8.1

DeFleur

Post by DeFleur »

Direct MS runtime installer download completed. SUCCESS !!! CFA 3.0.9 opens now. Thank you.

kakaronaldo

Post by kakaronaldo »

i agree with the first comment
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.