Randomly creating cfdg files?

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

shevegen

Randomly creating cfdg files?

Post by shevegen »

Again a strange idea. :)

What about to create random cfdg files?
It could follow some basic guidelines, for example specify some base colours and then some startrules. I was thinking that it could help to create strange surface patterns maybe.

I had this idea after reading description of najitools:

"najitool has reached its original goal of generating every possible file you specify at a fixed size"

I.e. najitool can create every possible file, and I would say for a given setting, 99,99999% of them are totally useless. But it could be interesting to have some program automagically audit these files and scan for patterns of "quality" (just like with generating music, then trying to find music which sounds good to human ears).

I am not sure if its understandable what I am trying to say.
Basically that you have a generator doing cfdg files, and
creating only cfdg files that follow a certain generator pattern, then watching these files. (I have a small script that so far only generates one image from one already existing cfdg file, then putting those links into a single .html page with 3x3 table display. I thought it was nice to look at all these cfdg generated files, but I was also not totally happy that the cfdg files already exist - would be more fun to have my script generate almost totally random cfdg files that follow some rules, but I am not sure where to start for some generator rules ...)

Ok, enough rambling for now, I almost feel as if i am spamming the forum with my strange ideas :)

jeremydouglass

Random CFDGs and interestingness

Post by jeremydouglass »

Two problems:

1. You can't really do this *in* context free, or you get stuff that all looks the same - e.g. adding every basic rule to a big file and letting them call each other recursively just gets you thin faint clouds of multicolored squares, circles and triangles.

2. You could randomly output CFDG files, but most of them would be extremely boring.

3. You can't do a straight markov chain, it will never compile.

Possible solution:

1. Build a CF-specific markov chain out of the contents of the Gallery (e.g. all function names normalized, all values grouped with parameters)
2. Use that histogram to weigh decisions made by the random CFDG generator (which is always valid) in favor of interestingness.

yfisaqt

Post by yfisaqt »

I created a random CFDG file generator. It takes certain inputs, and creates some nifty images. Not all images generated are beautiful, but some look great. You can see sample output at http://www.waltersware.com/cgen.aspx The samples are low res, but still look alright.

markie

Post by markie »

yfisaqt wrote:I created a random CFDG file generator. It takes certain inputs, and creates some nifty images. Not all images generated are beautiful, but some look great. You can see sample output at http://www.waltersware.com/cgen.aspx The samples are low res, but still look alright.
Uhhh.. Yfisaqt, why don't you mention / link Contxtfree anywhere on you site?

yfisaqt

Post by yfisaqt »

The site is still under construction (fairly new registration), but you have a good point. I'll post a link.